Last Friday I crawled across the finish line completing my Mad Men Dress on the day it was due in an episode that was quite reminiscent of my university days (I know Julia gave an extension but I was going on holiday on the same Friday – so no extension for Penny). I’ve posted a few photos of the finished product as well as some progress posts along the way.
In case you were wondering I made McCall’s 6454 circa 1964 in a navy, teal and gold brocade. I made a muslin in some shocking pink nylon-y material which I used as the lining.
This is the first sewalong that I’ve gone in on. I’ve really enjoyed being part of a community of people all working on their sewalong projects. However I found working under the time pressure of a deadline quite deflating. I really enjoy sewing. It’s something I do because simply because I like it. So the notion of having to time pressure was a bit unwelcome. That’s not to say that I haven’t enjoyed the sewalong experience. It’s been great to see everyone’s dresses and how they interpreted the brief. Perhaps I was a bit literal with my dress – I don’t think 1960s when I first look at it. Instead it’s more of a copy of Betty’s dress – brocade and a high neckline.
The plunging back was really a guess. I partly chose this design because I thought the high neckline on Betty’s dress front would need the low back to balance it out if you know what I mean, and partly because I already had this pattern perhaps being a cheap….
Overall I enjoyed the sewalong experience but it might be a while before I enter another!
AUCKLAND SEWING BLOGGERS MEET UP IS HAPPENING THIS SATURDAY – IT’D BE GREAT TO SEE YOU THERE